Health insurance in the Netherlands
Every Dutchman has to have a basic health insurance. With this insurance is every Dutchman assured of medical care. Insurers must accept the basic insurance for everyone. For additional insurance is no obligation to accept.
Every Dutch citizen is legally obliged to insure. There are special arrangements for those who work in the Netherlands but living abroad and vice versa.
Dutch health insurance coverage
The government has a legal package composed. Each health insurer offers this basic coverage:
- Medical care, including care provided by GPs, hospitals, medical specialists
- Dental care (up to 18 years from 18 years only specialist dentistry and dentures)
- Midwives and maternity care
- Patiënt transport (ambulance transport and sitting)
- Therapies (limited physiotherapy, speech therapy, dietary advice etc.)
In 2016 everyone has to pay the first 385 euro of the health costs. It’s know as an own risk. The own risk policy does not apply to:
- Visit GP
- Obstetrical care
- Maternity care